When a marriage or a defacto relationship ends, it can be traumatic not only for you and your partner, but also for any children you may have. Starting a committed relationship is a big responsibility. So is ending it.

To get a head start on your path to a normal life, start by taking care of the simple things. First, take stock of your finances. From there, it’s time to tackle the bigger financial issues.

If you have children, both of you may want to maintain contact with them. This is a delicate issue that will need you to be strong and supportive for your children to feel secure.

Speak to one of our lawyers to receive honest and empathetic advice.


To enquire if you are entitled to make a property claim from your partner, make an appointment to see one of our experienced lawyers.

In the event of a divorce the Family Law Act 1975 can be applied to any relationship between 2 adults, irrespective of gender, who may or may not be related to each other by family. This also includes where adults may be living together in a defacto relationship. This makes the law more inclusive of same sex couples than it was in the past.

When such a relationship ends, there are a few criterion based on which you can make a claim for a property settlement to carry on with your life.


If you have children with your ex, you may come to an arrangement on how both of you can maintain contact with them. Using an experience lawyer you can make sure that there is some certainty and structure to your arrangements, which will reflect spending time with and live with Orders.

In any separation, the needs of your child are most important. Keep in mind that ideally, children should have meaningful relationships with both parents even if the parents are no longer living together. The children also have a need to be protected from harm. These are the considerations that will be explained to you by your lawyer.

Our family lawyer can support and advise you even if there is some family violence involved in your case.

If you are facing a divorce and are finding it difficult to cope, it is strongly urged that you seek the help of Aaron Legal’s family lawyer to guide you through this troubled time.

Remember, you owe it to yourself and your child to come away with as few scars as possible.

How can we help you?